Perfect for residents, pediatricians, practitioners, or parents seeking further information, Smithâ€™s Recognizable Patterns of Human Deformation provides evidence-based management for a range of common pediatric problems affecting the limbs and craniofacial region. The only source devoted to the diagnoses and management of birth defects resulting from mechanical forces, this reference supplies the essential guidance needed for timely intervention and effective treatment.
- Examines the initial clinical approach to suspected deformation problems, and then walks you through pathogenesis, diagnostic features, management, prognosis, and counseling for each condition.
- Addresses a full range of lower extremity deformations; joint dislocations; nerve palsies; chest and spinal deformations; head and neck deformations; craniosynostosis and cranial bone variations; problems associated with abnormal birth presentation, birth palsies, and procedure-related defects; infant head shape variations; and torticollis.
- Distinguish deformations from malformations for appropriate management.
- Each chapter utilizes four consistent sections â€“ Genesis, Features, Management and Prognosis, and Differential Diagnosis â€“ to provide concise yet comprehensive information on 50 common pediatric conditions. These chapters are available for individual purchase or download to serve as educational guides for parents regarding evidence-based management of these conditions.
- Diagnosis and management of common pediatric orthopedic conditions is covered in detail.
- Updated discussion of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome brings a new focus to the important topic of infant sleeping environments.
- New before-and-after illustrations and detailed discussions focus on cranial-orthotic molding helmets and the surgical correction of craniosynostosis.
- Provides evidence-based management recommendations on common fetal complications such as oligohydramnios, pulmonary hypoplasia, and uterine structural abnormalities, and discusses current management techniques for each.
- Selected references at the end of each chapter provide further recent information regarding each of these topics.
- Offers essential information to a range of professionals, including neonatologists, pediatricians, family practitioners, nurses, physical and occupational therapists, rehabilitative specialists, pediatric nurse practitioners, and residents in all fields.
- Expert Consult eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, and references in the book on a variety of devices.
Login to buy access to this content.